Saturday, January 18, 2014

Heart Peace


It's a beautiful thing when the heart trusts God so fully, it explodes with joy... when Jesus takes your hand, steadies your uneasy spirit and lifts your soul to a place that you formerly thought was unfathomable.  Having total confidence that the Holy Spirit is leading you down the path the Lord has laid out for you, and knowing... totally knowing, that in the shadow of His compassion, is where you have found the sun.

Even though I was blind and deaf in my rebellion, and I hid myself from Him with the leaves of broken trees, and my independence was drowning me in shallow waters, and even though I pursued vanities to melt the stone heart, He pursued me.

To be so loved when you are at your worst, and so undeserving of the breaths you take for granted every second, is something that often can take those breaths away.  To know that there are people who don't know this love, breaks my heart.  To know that people live and die every day, without experiencing an overwhelming joy that can make all sorrow seem miniscule, is a tragedy that will never be equaled. 

Why?  Soul, why?  

Why do you care about things that will melt when you die?  Why do you care about your place when this world has no place for you?  You fight for a plot of ground for your spirit to reside on, in peace and comfort, and your plot is beyond the galaxies, in flawless perfection, in the bosom of a loving Savior.

Let it go... 

God gave us love and joy.  Love and joy that should overflow in us and into others.  A love and a joy that hold so much power and potential to move others with a grace and compassion and mercy, that can move mountains and change lives in a way that can alter the course of history forever... that can alter the fate of a soul... forever. 

Hold it close... 

Everyone loves.  But the object of their love is as different as a bustling city and 400 acres in the middle of nowhere.  Love of self permeates everything we are surrounded by.  Most of our decisions and preferences are based off the object of our affections and what will leave us feeling the most comfortable.

And this echoes in my ears.  Over and over I hear this...

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another... And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body.  And be thankful."  Colossians 3:12-15

These words seep into my heart and melt the stone into tender flesh.  Put on compassionate hearts and love.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.  And then, in one sentence,  "And.be.thankful."  Three little words which can make life the most glorious journey you have ever imagined.  Love, kindness, peace, thankfulness.  How beautiful are these gifts that we can claim as ours.  Because we are His, and He is ours.  All the good things that are a part of God's perfect character, can belong to us, because we are a part of Him.  And He dwells in us.  He gave us His Holy Spirit, to lead us, guide us and to shine His glory and light in the darkness that inhabits this earth.  The darkness that eats all goodness and consumes lives before they have time to live.

Hope.  Hope is the message I was given to spread, and spread it, I don't.  I get so caught in the net of what the world says I need to do in order to live, but I just want my flesh to die, so that my soul can live and the One who reigns on a heavenly throne, after being three days dead, can breath into my spirit, the light of life. 

To be selfless, compassionate, kind, and loving... to have these things be so powerfully exercised in my life, is something I feel as if I will never see.  I so often seek only the things I desire, and not what Jesus desires.  He didn't save me so that I could further my vision in life!  He saved me so I could show others how good... oh, how good it is to be saved.  To be free.  To no longer be a slave to the sin that makes miserable your heart.  The heart that so tenderly bleeds with pain, because sin separates us from the God who fashioned us with His very fingers.  The God who created the beauty that causes our heartbeats to pound like symphonic drums at the sight of the ocean, or the mountains, or when we hold our babies in our arms, fresh out of the womb.  The God who holds so much power and who beholds so much beauty and placed it on this tiny planet for us... is who our sin separates us from.  Grief and misery are the constant emotions that inhabit the hearts of the ones who will never be in the presence of the Maker of all things beautiful.  

God forgive me for having eyes that only see what I hold dear. 

"And above all these, put on love."

What a wonderful thing to be consumed by...   




No comments: