Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Domesticity



What is it about homemaking that causes some people to just cringe?  You have one side that believes homemaking is the only thing a girl's mind should ever rest upon; and then there is the side that thinks we should not waste a moment on home duties with all the conveniences modern technology affords us.  Why waste our time with those petty things, when we could be in the world, broadening our horizons?   (or better stated, learning to be of the world, rather than just in it.) 

Women were made to be keepers of the home.  Women were created to function and thrive in the home environment.  But, that does not mean we should all become so consumed with homemaking that we forget why we are homemakers. Nor does it mean, that we are glued to the home, and a woman's place is only there!  

For me personally, I love Italian food!  I love to smell, observe, cook, taste and devour tons of garlicy, cheesy, completely saucified, pasta goodness!  (I realize I might have made up a few words there)  So, I am making an effort to broaden my skills in this wonderful avenue of food.  But, just because I might feel the need to become a master cook in this particular area, does not mean that I am somehow a more qualified homemaker, or that every girl must follow my example and do precisely what I am doing with my cooking skills.  That is simply something that suits my fancy, if you will. 

The same principle applies for millions of other skills.  For instance, I do not enjoy, (at this moment in my life) embroidery work.  There, I said it!  It is something that frustrates me in an awful way!  Crocheting?...that I can do!  It is a bit quicker and I see results faster!  Knitting?  Un-uh, no way!  Sewing?, *wince*, that kind of depends.  I can make quilts and baby blankets; but actual clothing?  Not really.  Perhaps one day I will be able to master the skills on my "not really appeasing" list, but for now, I am content to nurture the areas that I feel God has given me a desire for.

One thing that I have seen is a tendency for young women to think that the study of theology and their Christianity is not important.  This is really wrong.  If we do not study God's word, His principles and attributes, then how can we ever grasp the true purpose in our domestic roles?  You see, I think part of this is just  a simple lack of understanding.  We are to love serving in the home because that is what God has commanded us to do, and by obeying His commandments, we are glorifying Him and showing the world where our affections lie.  If we neglect the cultivation of a love for Christianity by putting off the importance of theology, then we are doing a disservice to our character and ability to defend our lifestyles in a way that would be in accord with the Scriptures.  

That is why we need to know what we believe and why we believe it!  We do not want the world to look at us and think we worship the home.  That is a terrible thing.  We want the world to look at us and see how much we love God! (and yes, occasionally they will label us weirdos, or even a cult)  We need to live our lives in a way that makes it obvious what our goal is.  We should always ask ourselves if we are doing the things we are doing because we want to fit in with our friends, or want to feel superior to feminists, or if we are attempting to serve God through the home because that is what we have been called to do in the body of Christ?!  We cannot lose sight of what our chief end is!  What good is it to be able to make candles, spin your own wool, or weave a basket, if we cannot understand the reasoning that lies behind those things?  I am always needing to examine my own heart in this area.  It is so easy to get caught up in the moment and lose our eternal perspective.  But we cannot neglect the fact that we are to be fighting a battle, not pampering our self-righteous attitude by believing that we are more pleasing to God because of what we did here, or what we did there.  We are fallen, sinful creatures, and if not for the redemption of Christ and the grace of God, we would be worse than the scum of the earth scoundrel.  

Now while some may completely throw off the importance of girls studying theology; others seem to hold study in general to such a high standard, that girls who do not seek success outside of the home environment, are often labeled victims of the "quiverfull movement".  (Ridiculous terminology, I know.  I could write an entire post on the idiocy of this term that has grown out of a feminist rebellion.)  I think it is so utterly tragic that they waste so much precious time trying to find things wrong with Christians who are seeking the Lord with their whole heart.  They address subjects that they are not experts in and seek to spread nonsensical rumors that are not true in the least!  Ninety nine percent of the time, they throw off all reasoning and stray so far from the facts that they end up sounding like nincompoops.  The thing that we need to remember when dealing with silly, and sometimes, not so silly, rumors, is that God is using that to strengthen us, and He is also using that in the other persons' life as well.  We need to be certain that we have a biblical attitude and response to those situations.  People who love to attack, are always waiting to see what kind of response they are going to receive.  That  is why is it so important that we convey the light of Christ, and not exercise our carnal desires in response to our own hurt and feelings of injustice.  We need to pray that God will protect us from bitterness, and open their eyes to His glorious truth!  Put yourself in their shoes.  If you were the one who was blinded to the beauty of God's design, how would you want the opposite party to view and pray for you?  

We need to always remember that the blood of Christ is the only thing that makes us pleasing in the eyes of God!  This life is a vapor; we need to be careful we don't take our eyes off of our main priority and get so caught up in our domestic duties that we forget why we are doing what we are doing; or get so lost in defending ourselves (something I struggle a lot with) that we forget what kind of pit Christ rescued us out of. 

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? Matthew 16:26"

6 comments:

Don and Shelly said...

Shelby, very wisely put... especially for one so young! May the Lord continue to bless you in this journey. By the way, your future husband may admire that you can crochet or sew... but he'll LOVE you for your italian cuisine!! ;)

~Shelly
homespunlegacyministries.blogspot.com

Shelby Courtney said...

Hahaha...that is a good thing, because I am infatuated with it right now! : ) Thank you for the encouragement.

Don and Shelly said...

Sorry, Shelby... I put the address of our old blogsite. You can find us at:

hlministries.blogspot.com

If you come with garlic on your breath... we'll understand!!! :D

Shelby Courtney said...

; )

Jacqueline said...

Shelby, wonderfully put! I've thought this, but not so able to put it into words as you...esp the part about showing the world where our affections are. "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord" (not the home or a quiver-full although those things are good). "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.." 1 Peter 3: 15
Thank you for great encouragement on this topic! Blessings!

Shelby Courtney said...

Thank you! I so appreciate the godly examples of the older women in my life, such as yourself! God is so good to give me encouragement, (and chastisement ;) when I need it! : )