Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Piece of Cake!

Okay, so I know I have been a bit neglectful of my blog recently, but I had good, legitimate reasons!  And in my endeavors to instill a better glimpse of my life into this blog, I will share my recent adventures with you all!

Besides being swamped with daily home life and domestic duties, as well as helping others concerning their yard work, I have been baking cake!  I did my first wedding, and was rather overwhelmed with the amount of pressure that ensues upon one who is responsible for the cake at another person's wedding!  Needless to say, stress was a factor.

One thing I really tried to do was maintain a biblical attitude towards the purpose of my cake baking.  Trying to remember that making a cake that will be served at a couple's wedding, is a blessing that was bestowed upon me and is also an opportunity to take dominion in a specific area!  Although, I do have to admit, most of my biblical approaches to the scenario were geared more towards my efforts to exercise patience, when throwing my spatula on the floor and crying would have definitely been a more appeasing approach to my ever warring flesh!  

Now mind you, when I completed the gumpaste roses in a timely fashion...much quicker than I had originally thought...and when I had baked and crumb coated the cakes on schedule...and I will even admit that when I had the first tier frosted and it went as smooth as silk, I thought "this is a piece of cake" (corny pun, I know : )  But then, it happened!  It was really only a matter of time before something was to cross my path and make my life miserable, and the culprit was...humidity!  Thaaaaaat's right!  As the natural course of events would have it, I left my hot pan of water on the stove, then, the kitchen got all hot and humid and my buttercream was acting like a beast!  It was sliding down the cake as fast as I could slather it on.  (Thankfully, tears were not a factor...this time)  So after much refrigeration and some minor (ok, more than minor) frustration, all went well!

I don't know if I am the only baker in the world who feels as though her cakes are never what she wants them to be, but this was one of those moments.  I always have visions of it looking the picture of perfection, and then when I see the flaws, (which most food possesses) I feel sorta sad. BUT, I shall prevail and learn from my mishaps! : )  God was so good to give me the grace to accomplish this cake without any major catastrophes...although minor ones did occur! ; )

So here are a few photos for your viewing!


It was white/chocolate marble cake, iced in buttercream and decorated with gumpaste roses and royal icing dots



My lovely Mother and me on our way to the wedding!  {photo credit: my little sister Morgan}


Poor little darling started to perspire a little bit, I figured it was just on account of her being so nervous with the wedding and all...(actually, it got kinda hot at the reception location) 
I was exceptionally relieved that the cake arrived at the reception venue alive! 
I was so thankful that God provided me with the grace to bake a cake and essentially be part of a couple's marriage!



So all in all, it went very well!  Even though there was a moment or two where I was on the verge of losing it, God gave me grace to persevere and press on!  I learned so much about what I need to do (or not to do : ) next time a wedding is beckoning my name!  It was a wonderful experience and I am so very thankful!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cake is lovely Shelby! I laughed along with your story & totally agree that cake decorating is a lesson (or trial, depending!) in patience! ;)
(Last Sept. I was asked to make a sheet cake for a Constitution Day celebration. Several days before the event, the organizer called & asked me to make it large enough to serve 1,000 people! We determined that it would require about 5 sheet cakes (& she wanted them decorated, not just frosted). I do not remember all the particulars but needless to say the day arrived and I was still up to my eyeballs in icing about 2 hours before I was supposed to have the cake at the event (definatly ready to throw the spatula on the floor & cry!) and the icing recipe that I had used was extrememly sticky & the designs were not turning out the way I was hoping. In my case, I have NOT been gifted with a real steady hand in cakes or really any experience, so the Lord provided my 18 year old brother who does taxidermy (requiring great detail & precision) to take my mess & turn it into a work of art! Yep - he helped me clean off the messed up decorations & then carefully measured the placement of the stripes for the flag & he & my 15 year old sister resurected that cake - completing it in about 1 hour! :) I did the writing & my youngest siblings pitched in some sprinkles... and we have the most memorable cake decorating experience EVER! ;) Sarah

Shelby Mary said...

Hahahaha...that was hilarious, Sarah! What a great story! I really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing! Amazingly enough, cakes are an outstanding patience testing experience! : )

Jacqueline said...

It is a delight to read of these 2 near disasters (one in the comment above), knowing that they both passed the test and went on to glory!! I can't picture you throwing a spatula, but I do know you grew in holy understanding that day! Thanks you for sharing, and the photos are gorgeous! You have such a lovely Mother!! Sending my love *hearts*
Blessings to your family...

Shelby Mary said...

Thank you, Mrs. Line! ;) I hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day!